Brain Building “Totally Possible” Burgers
Healthy Burgers aren’t impossible. Mind Kind Kitchen has whipped up a delicious and nutritious plant based burger to feed your noggin’! This mouth watering, protein packed burger is sure to satisfy and contains a number of brain building ingredients that were selected for their cognitive enhancing properties.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 44 mins
Yields 8 servings
- 2 cups cremini mushroom, chopped
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon tapioca flour
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cup cooked lentils or 1 15 oz can of lentils
- 1 small beet, peeled and shredded
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons liquid aminos
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ – 1 teaspoon red chili flakes for heat (optional)
- 100% whole-wheat burger buns
- Chipotle Cashew Queso Sauce
- Sliced cucumbers
- Butter lettuce leaves
1. Heat a large non-stick skillet on high. Spray the surface of the pan with a little bit for extra virgin olive oil, or add a little bit of broth. Then add the mushrooms and cook through to lose its moisture, for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
2. Get your blender or food processor ready. Place the mushrooms, oats and tapioca flour and pulse 3-4 times to pulverize the oats slightly. You don’t want to create flour, just break it down so it in texture. Then add black beans, chickpeas, half of the lentils, nutritional yeast, liquid aminos, black pepper and chili flakes to the processor. Gently pulse all the ingredients to create a mostly ground mixture. Then add the beets and pulse until ingredients begin to come together.
3. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl. Adjust salt and heat per taste. Shape into 6-8 patties.4. Heat the non-stick pan on high heat and spray with extra virgin olive oil (can be omitted). Arrange the patties on the pan and sauté for about 10 minutes on one side until browned, then flip over and continue sautéing for another 10 minutes. 5. Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place the burgers on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until browned and firm.6. Arrange the burger: toast the whole wheat bun, spread a little chipotle cheese, place the lettuce, cucumber, then the patty on top of them, and spread more cashew cheese on the patty as desired. Then top with the other half of the burger bun and enjoy.